Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Today's events

I have spent most of the day glued to my TV and computer while snuggling my tiny Baby Love and watching the news on the shooting that took place in Roswell this morning. Funny thing happens once you become a parent. It sounds awful to say this but before Baby Love, when things like this happened I would think, "Those poor people, that's awful." and then I would go about my own way not putting much thought into it until it became a crime that I was researching for a term paper or talking about in class. This morning though I immediately felt protective, hurt, and scared for all the people experiencing this. People that I do not even know. I also began to think about my own child's safety. Homeschooling my child is an idea that I have suddenly began to warm up to if we are ever in a place in which this can be possible. With all of the things that are going on in the public education system I feel like sending him into it would be a disservice to him. As I am looking down at his sweet little sleeping face right now I wonder what it's going to be like in a few years when we have to start thinking seriously about this.

I have to say though, I feel absolutely awful for the parents of the two children that were shot. However, I also feel awful for the parents of the shooter, they lost their son today. I know that some people are going to think that I am crazy but I still remember that it was this little boy's choice and not his parents to commit this act. I am sure that society is going to look at them and wonder if they knew something was wrong, if they were somehow involved in the reason that their kid made the decision to do this, or if they were even actively involved in their child's life. No matter what the case, I feel for all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment